Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A healthier alternative

Well once again I have been neglecting my little cupcake project, and I apologize. There just doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day anymore. So I decided to make one of the more "interesting" cupcakes, mainly to get it out of the way. Tonight I made gluten-free pecan cupcakes with chopped dates. You can find gluten-free flour at your local health food store. I found this one at Whole Foods. (One of my favorite places to visit) I was pretty interested in making this one. I had some suggestions to make a gluten free cupcake, and wanted to see what it was all about. This cupcake can be found toward the end of the book in the "cupcakes for special diets" section. The cupcake was super easy to make, gluten free flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla, chopped pecans, chopped dates, salt, and baking powder. Bake at 400 degrees for twenty minutes. I think twenty minutes was three minutes too much. They were a little over done. They were also a pain in the you know what to remove from the pan. I used Pam to grease the muffin pan, but maybe some flour in addition to it wouldnt hurt. I dont want to give up on the gluten free aspect of things. I think it can be a really good market....with the right recipe. These however...were no bueno. As my husband said "ugh it tastes like dirt!" That it why there is no picture...I cant even feed these to the homeless or less fortunate. They were so bad. The dates just took over the cupcake. So gross. My next gluten free attempt will be: gluten free macadamia nut and raisin muffins. I'll need to buy soya bran. (What's soya bran?)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha Not even for the homeless? I hope the next gluten-free ones turn out better. Macadamia nut and raisin sounds like a weird combination. I love dates.. don't like raisins..

    ReplyDelete