Sunday, August 30, 2009

Not so "very cherry" like

Never fear, even though there was no post yesterday. I did make cupcakes. I had to wait until my photographer came home so he could take pictures of them before I put my blog up. Last night I made "Very Cherry Cupcakes". I was all into them until I tasted the frosting. Now I’m not a cherry person to begin with. I don’t like the artificial flavor of them. Now fresh cherries I like. But its the fake stuff I cant stand.

The cupcake was your normal vanilla cupcake with kirsch added into it. For those who don’t know what that is, its a cherry liqueur. I couldn’t find it at my local grocery store. My husband was able to buy it for about $8 at BevMo.

Now the frosting is what killed it for me. It called for salt, just a pinch. But the pinch was way to much and ruined the sweet frosting taste we all know and love. I tried counter balancing it with adding more confectioners sugar, but it didn’t work. After you mix the frosting together, you add red food coloring to the mixture to make it pink.

When the frosting and cupcakes are put together you put the finishing touch on it by adding a maraschino cherry with the stem on top.

I only had a bite of the cupcake since I was so turned off by it, Travis on the other hand finished it off. His comment was there wasn’t too much cherry flavor to it, with the exception of the cherry on top.

So if I were to make it again, I'd leave out the salt in the frosting, and add more kirsch to the mix.

Cupcakes by Coley now has email for those who want to place an order. You can reach me at CupcakesbyColey@hotmail.com.

Photography: Travis J. Premo

1 comment:

  1. Well they LOOK pretty!! I'm not a fan of those cherries either...

    ReplyDelete