Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Diets beware!

Mmmmm all you dieters out there, I'm sorry to inform you that this will just about kill any diet out there.
Tonight I made a Devils Food Cupcake, and it was yummy!
It wasn't a beginners cupcake that's for sure. It was very time consuming, and required your full attention. For starters I had to sift the self rising flour, and baking powder together, that's always a messy task. No matter how hard you try, you will always end up with flour dust on your counter.
After the sifting was done, I had to melt the chocolate in a double boiler, followed by separating eggs. Separating eggs isn't difficult, you just have to be careful.
After you mix the egg yolk into the batter, it asks you to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then you gently fold them into the batter. Forming soft peaks is always a little time consuming. I always start to wonder "am i doing this right?" because it takes a few minutes. Eventually, the egg whites will turn into a foamy mixture, which is what you want.
After baking for twenty minutes, the cupcakes will come out a medium brown color, and soft to the touch.
The frosting is one of the best yet in this cookbook. It was very simple: butter, milk, chocolate, vanilla extract and confectioners' sugar. Just the basics, nothing fancy like lemon juice for a change!
I fed my husband the frosting, and he loved it! It was so good to see him like a cupcake after that avocado and lemon disaster!
Well I think I'll stick with the chocolate theme, and make a choc-fudge-frosting cupcake tomorrow.
Photography: Travis J. Premo

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Good thing I'm not there to eat those. I gotta stay on track with my diet!

    ReplyDelete