Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A scaled down version

Tonight, I bring you a "classic cake scaled down to a cupcake!"
Pineapple upside-down cupcakes.
In general the instructions for this one, was a little confusing. I had to call some backup into the kitchen, my husband, and a phone call to my mom did the trick!
This recipe doesn't use liners, which is nice. I don't have to use what little liners I have left remaining. Instead you grease a muffin pan with butter, and dust with a little flour, tapping off any excess.
The name says it all "upside-down". You create these from the bottom up. This was the confusing part of the book. For the topping it asked for 1/2 cup (1 stick) of sweet butter. But then in the instruction part of the recipe, it says drizzle 1 tablespoon of melted butter into each cup. Now, there are twelve cups to a pan, and 8 tablespoons to a stick of butter, sooooo where do the other 4 tablespoons come from? I sure as heck wasn't about to waste twelve tablespoons of butter. So after taking some advice, I just divided up the stick of butter equally among the twelve cups.
I'll just come right out and say it, what a pain in the you know what to get them out of the pan! What a mess, I'm pretty sure I greased them well enough, but the darn things fell apart the moment I took them out of the pan. The pineapple and brown sugar mixture, made a glue like substance or something,and bonded to the pan. I'll do what I can to make the picture look pretty.
The taste is REALLY good, now I just have to perfect the method of the pan. More butter to grease? Less brown sugar? I don't know, any opinions out there are always welcomed.
My husband loves them, so Ive got to find the problem to my pan issue.
Well my statistics homework is calling my name, and then my bed time is soon approaching.
Photography: Travis J. Premo

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I wish I could help. :/ Why would you have to dust it with flour?

    ReplyDelete