Thursday, September 3, 2009

A little more time consuming of a cupcake....

Tonight I made a cupcake that had originally started out in the south as hummingbird cake. But instead, with the help the author of "500 cupcakes" I turned it into a cupcake topped with marmalade frosting.
Let me just say, this isn't a cupcake you want to try if you're in a hurry. It was more time consuming then the rest. It had a lot of ingredients that you had to prepare ahead of time.
In the cupcake you have mashed bananas, orange zest, shredded carrots, crushed pineapple, and flaked coconut.
I didn't follow the recipe exactly tonight. I'm a little bummed about it, but at the same time I didn't want to spend $6 on something I only needed a 1/4 cup of. The original recipe called for safflower oil, which is another type of cooking oil that comes from a flower. I especially didn't want to buy this because not only is it colorless, so it wont have an effect on the color of my cupcakes but its also tasteless as well. Instead of the safflower oil I used the corn oil which I had already in my pantry. It didn't seem to change the taste of the cupcake, although I guess I wouldn't really know since Ive never made them and I don't have anything to compare it too.
The frosting, was good. I recommend using more confectioners' sugar then what it asks for. I just used what it called for and it was very runny. Not what the picture in the book portrays at all. In the cookbook it shows the frosting pretty thick and stiff.
Now for the good part: the taste!
My husbands testimonial: "Its good, interesting texture."
The cupcake was really good, very sweet though. It kind of made my left eye close at first, because it was to intense for me. It was one of those cupcakes where it was good, but I'm not sure if I'd make it again. (Maybe a second time, to work out the kinks)
Well I'm not sure what cupcake I'm making tomorrow. I'm still going out of order a little bit. I went to one store today and didn't have the right ingredients for the next one in line. So I just found a recipe that I could get all ingredients in a one stop shop. After work and school, I was too exhausted and lazy to go to multiple stores. So I apologize for bouncing around the cookbook a bit.
It's off to bed for me. Night, night!
Photography: Travis J. Premo.

1 comment:

  1. Pineapple and banana -- sounds so good. And even though the frosting is runny, it still looks good!

    ReplyDelete