Sunday, September 27, 2009

The kids will love them!

For all you parents out there who are stumped on what kind of dessert you should serve at your son or daughters next birthday party, look no further! These cupcakes are extremely creative and very kid friendly.
This afternoon I made ice cream cone cupcakes. They were very easy to make, minus the frosting. I had some trouble with that, but I'll talk about that in a minute.
To make these cupcakes you'll need flat-bottomed wafer ice cream cones, and a mini muffin pan. The cupcake is just a vanilla cupcake, nothing new. Bake for twenty minutes, and let cool. After they've cooled you'll need to peel away the cupcake liner and place them into the ice cream cone. They actually fit perfectly and they just dropped right in there.
The frosting consisted of confectioners' sugar, sweet butter, a pinch of salt, heavy cream, vanilla extract and to top....colored sprinkles! =)
I was having trouble with the frosting because as I went to pipe it on to the cupcake, the frosting wasn't stiff enough so it wasn't holding its shape. So I went back to square one, and returned the frosting back to the bowl and continued to add sugar until I got the thickness I wanted. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, but in reality I used more like like 3 cups. It still wasn't to my liking, so my husband stuck it in the fridge to set. That seemed to do the trick.
However I didn't have a lot of time after I piped the frosting on the cake before it started to melt and lose the shape. My husband seems to think there's to much cream in the recipe. So in one of my upcoming variations, I'll try reducing the amount.
Both of my parents, and Travis liked the cupcakes. I thought there were really cute. And one day I'll make them for our kids party!
Photography: Travis J. Premo

2 comments:

  1. this would be a really good cupcake for parents to make for the kids birthdays to take to school parties. Since I work for LAUSD I know that parents like to bring cupcakes or a cake for the kids' birthday. This would be PERFECT for that. It is easy for the students to grab a cupcake/cupcake cone and there is no need for a knife, plates, etc. Great job, Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally cute!! That's a lot of sugar you added to the icing, haha, was it really sweet?

    ReplyDelete