Sunday, September 20, 2009

Not exacly a cupcake

Not exactly a cupcake, but it was in the book nonetheless.
I made corn muffins. I could have made another cupcake, but it was closing in on dinner time, and Travis loves corn bread, so while watching the Cowboys vs. the Giants game, we can enjoy some hearty food.
The recipe calls for a lot of butter, Paula Dean would be proud. 1 1/2 sticks of butter, that's about a tablespoon worth of butter, per muffin. At least I used unsalted, that should help a little, right?
After dealing with my horrible oven, and preheating twice they finally got to bake. The book called for them to bake for about twenty minutes, but they just didn't look "done." So I stuck them in for another two minutes or so....much better.
They were on the dry side, I'm not sure if it was because I baked them a little longer or if the recipe just needs more liquid. I think next time I'll use more buttermilk. Maybe add another 1/2 cup to the batter. (Is it still called batter when making a muffin? Or is it called dough??)
Anyway, they tasted pretty good warm and with some butter spread on top. (Not that they need more butter....)
For those interested in the final score....our team lost. The cowboys were up by one until the final four seconds of the game, when a field goal ruined everything. They sure did play terrible tonight, well it wasn't the team per se it was more of Tony Romo, who couldn't seem to throw properly. Its a shame because tonight was their first official game in the new stadium. It would have been great if they won, but whattya gonna do??
Photography: Travis J. Premo

1 comment: