Friday, September 25, 2009

Makes me miss Hawaii

Has it really been since Tuesday since I last blogged? Blogged? Is that a word?
Anyway lots of stuff has happened over the last week, the reason for my absence.
My husband and I have come up with some great ideas for the future of Cupcakes by Coley. I'll talk more about that towards the end of my blog.
Tonight, I went to the chocolate section of the book and made white chocolate & macadamia nut cupcakes.
These are very yummy.
Vanilla cupcakes with white chocolate chips mixed into the batter, topped with a white chocolate frosting, made with white chocolate chips, milk, and confectioners' sugar. Its a very sweet frosting but good nonetheless.
You kind of have to act quick with the frosting as it turns hard pretty fast. Its resembling more of a solid chocolate now that it solidified. On top of the frosting is when you sprinkle macadamia nuts. Macadamia nuts hold a special place in my husbands and my heart. Hawaii is famous for their mac nuts, and Hawaii is where my husband and I officially met. It's also where my Aunt Vicki and two cousins, Kendra and Ruby live and we miss them terribly. The countdown is on until we can see them hopefully next summer.
Back to cupcakes, as I said before there have been allot of ideas mentioned over the past few days. For one, I got the idea from a co-worker of mine, Candy, who thought it would be a great idea for me to get into the bridal show scene. She said if I get one bride to like my cupcakes, I'm set. And she's right, being a recent bride, I know brides love to spend money and will do anything it takes to get the "WOW" factor at their wedding. Every girl wants something different then the last wedding, something bigger, something better. So I emailed my DJ who played at our wedding, who I found at a bridal show, to pick his brain of what I should do to get ready to be a part of something like that. I'm still waiting on a reply. But I'm thrilled with the idea.
Travis surprised me with buying me a domain name for the Internet. For those less computer savvy, a domain name is an Internet website. Cupcakesbycoley.com is officially taken. It isn't up, but he bought it out so no one else can have it now. Now when we're ready, we'll pay an additional fee and get the website up and running.
In addition to that, my best friends sister asked me what I thought about selling my cupcakes at her families donut shop. They would take a 25% cut, which isn't bad and it would be a great way to get my feet wet in the business world. We haven't worked out all the details and I haven't officially said yes, but I'm thrilled with that idea as well.
I've already emailed my insurance company to see if I can get a quote on a commercial policy. So I can have insurance on my business, and Travis has pulled the paperwork for me to get a permit, and to also get my business name.
To do the business name, I have to first file for a fictitious business name. Once the name gets approved, I then have to get it published. So I'll take it over to a newspaper, get Cupcakes By Coley published and then I can officially say its a business.

3 comments:

  1. First off,these cupcakes look delicious,but more than that I am so proud of you! And a special thanks to Travis for his support to you and his special handling of all the technical stuff! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the legal stuff, Nikki: Rachel used legalzoom.com For a "reasonable" fee, they will take care of your DBA Ficticiuos Name stuff, publishing it, also your Seller's Permit paperwork. She also has a website (via godaddy.com). It's www.rannajewelry.com -- it's a work-in-progress. We need GOOD photos of her jewelry to post. Do you know of anyone :-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress progress!! Awesome bear! Is this the cupcake I ate? Mmmmm love it

    ReplyDelete