Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One of Travis' favorites!

You really cant go wrong with adding crushed Oreo's into a cupcake. This next cupcake is one of my husbands favorite. So when I told him I was making it again, you can understand how excited he got.
Tonight I made cookies & cream cupcakes. Now for those who know me, you'll know Ive made these already, before I set this challenge up for myself. So lucky for me I already had notes to look back on.
The cupcake recipe was rather simple, just add five crushed Oreo's to the mix. (The cake was a vanilla cupcake recipe)
For the frosting, it was a butter cream frosting. Confectioners' sugar, sweet butter, a pinch of salt and I added something of my own because it simply needed it. Vanilla extract. The flavor just wasn't working for me or Travis. Now its perfect! I also added about 1/2 more of the sugar then what it asked for.
As far as my notes on the baking process: I usually use an ice cream scooper to scoop out the batter. So for each liner I only did 1 1/2 scoops. The last time I made these I did two, and the batter got way to big in the oven.
You will also need to double the frosting recipe if you want to frost all of them. The picture in the book has this mound of frosting, which you'll never get if you stick to the regular measurements.
I must admit I had a helper in the kitchen tonight, my husband who loves me very much washed out a cupcake pan for me, and helped me mix the frosting. I use an electric hand mixer to mix up all my frosting's and my arm was starting to give out on me. So like a damsel in distress, he came to my rescue.
As far as cooking time, it says to cook for twenty minutes. I already took it out thirty seconds early, not that that makes much of a difference but I suggest maybe 18 minutes.
The taste was great just like the last time. There will be a third time to making these.
Travis gave me a good idea earlier this week. I think I'm going to start giving left over cupcakes to the homeless. I throw away to many cupcakes, and I feel bad wasting all that food when I know there are people out there who have no food at all. So I'll be doing some research to find a homeless shelter near my house. Or maybe a soup kitchen. Something along those lines.
For those interested, I have 468 more cupcakes to accomplish by August 2010
A hint for tomorrow: Pineapple.
Photography: Travis J. Premo

2 comments:

  1. Nicki, these look really good. I bet they go good with Cookie Dough Ice Cream! My church takes dinners down on skid row once a month - I'll see if I can find out some info for you for the homeless or shelters. You could also take them to the convelascent home where grandma is and give to the staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only five Oreos? I would've thought there'd be more! Cool...

    P.S. Send the cupcakes to Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete